It’s positively aDORable when liberal Anglicans think they’ve caught conservative Anglicans in a contradiction. Someone named Lesley Fellows writes:
You see, when Bishop Mary Glasspool (a lesbian bishop) was consecrated all hell broke loose and TEC were accused of being rebellious and generally unfit to be Anglican, even Lambeth Palace said it was ‘regrettable’. English bishops and clergy said that the Anglican Covenant will give the Yanks the spanking they deserve. But when ACoC break the moratorium… well nobody notices.
A couple of days ago the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island voted to allow the blessing of same-sex civil partnerships in church, they are the 8th Diocese in ACoC to pass this.
Do I hear roars of outrage, announcements from Lambeth Palace and emergency meetings demanded from conservative Provinces?
Would we treat those nice cuddly Canadian Anglicans the same way we’ve treated those nasty brash arrogant Amerikan Anglicans? I fear MadPriest is right – the Covenant smells not only of prejudice against gay people but also against Americans.
(1) If Lambeth Palace hated the Americans, the Episcopal Organization would have been run in October, 2003.
(2) If Lambeth Palace hated the Americans, there wouldn’t have been a single American or Canadian bishop at the last Lambeth Conference. Or they all would have been shown the door the moment the conference started.
(3) If Lambeth Palace hated the Americans, the last Lambeth Conference, the most important meeting in the Anglican world, would have dealt with the Current Unpleasantness once and for all.
(4) If Lambeth Palace hated the Americans, the Archbishop of Canterbury would have structured the last Lambeth Conference to deal with the Current Unpleasantness once and for all rather than turning it into the completely useless Real African Word yammering session it turned out to be.
(5) One reason why there haven’t been any outraged calls for emergency meetings from conservative provinces is that there have been emergency meetings out the wazoo since all this began and not a single one of them has resulted in anything at all. Indeed, the Archbishop of Canterbury personally cut the ground out from under one of them.
(6) Another reason why there haven’t been any outraged calls for emergency meetings from conservative provinces is that many of us stopped giving a crap about the idiotic pretensions of the Anglican Communion after the sick joke that was the last Lambeth Conference when we finally realized that with Dr. Williams’ assistance, TEO had, in fact, gotten over. See (4).
The fact of the matter is that the Archbishop of Canterbury doesn’t run the Anglican Communion anymore, Les. Mrs. Schori does. Which is why I personally find Anglican liberal whining about “persecution” and “prejudice” to be terribly funny.