Friday, April 29, 2011
Thursday, April 28, 2011
New Chairman for GAFCON Primates Council
April 28, 2011
Statement from the Most Rev’d Eliud Wabukala, Primate of the Anglican Church of Kenya and newly elected Chairman of the GAFCON Primates Council.
Praise the Lord! It is a great joy to greet all of you as we celebrate the Feast of the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. The resurrection of Christ was an event that changed the course of history for good and as a result, my life and the lives of millions of others have been changed for eternity.
Yesterday I was elected Chairman of the GAFCON Primates Council and I am honored to accept this call to serve the Anglican Communion in this special way. Together with 1200 bishops and leaders from around the Anglican Communion, I was privileged to spend a life-changing week in Jerusalem in 2008 as part of the Global Anglican Future Conference.
It reminds me of my roots in the East African Revival when the renewing Spirit of God permeated the Church leading to a confession of sins, a thirst for God’s Word filling the converts with humility, a simple lifestyle and an unquestionable desire for evangelism. It is these qualities that have kept the Church in our region faithful to the Gospel. It is my conviction that this same Spirit is at work in GAFCON.
I am honored, therefore, to join my colleagues in helping lead this movement forward and am humbled by their trust. It is a delight to welcome two new Primates to the Council, the Most Rev’d Tito Zavala, Bishop of Chile and Presiding Bishop of the Southern Cone, and also the Most Rev’d Onesphore Rwaje, Primate of the Anglican Church of Rwanda.
GAFCON is made up of Anglican archbishops, bishops, clergy and laity from around the world. We include Provinces that contain the majority of the active membership of the Anglican Communion. We joyfully acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus Christ, believe in the trustworthiness of God’s Word and the transforming power of God’s Spirit.
• At the heart of GAFCON is the Jerusalem Declaration that gives a theological and historical framework to our faith as Anglican Christians
• GAFCON is committed to the work of reforming, reshaping and renewing global Anglicanism.
• We are determined to strengthen and support orthodox Anglican Bishops, Dioceses and Provinces in their witness to Jesus Christ and the transforming power of His Spirit.
• We will work to recognize and encourage faithful Anglicans in regions of the world where there is no biblical Anglican voice or presence.
• We are developing theological and other resources to help grow our Anglican family in Biblical faithfulness and practical concern, and
• We are building a global partnership of faithful Anglican churches who are committed to Biblical faith as described in the Jerusalem Declaration.
I recognize that we have set ourselves a truly monumental task but we serve God for whom nothing, not even overcoming death itself, is impossible.
Pray for us. Pray that we will all be faithful to God’s Call.
Alleluia, Christ is Risen!
Nairobi, 28th April, 2011