Friday, January 31, 2014

I'm out: Reflections on Exodus 33:1–7

By Bishop Thad Barnum
January 30, 2014

Then the LORD spoke to Moses, "Depart, go up from here, you and the people whom you have brought up from the land of Egypt, to the land of which I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, saying, 'To your descendants I will give it.'" -Exodus 33:1

He said He'd be with us. He said He'd dwell in our midst. He said He'd never leave us (see Ex. 25:8; 29:42–46; Lev. 26:11–12; num. 2:2; 34:36; Deut. 31:6–8). But the golden-calf story changed all that. Sin always does. It may be small in our eyes. But it's big in His. Serious big. Breaking, dividing, hurting, destroying the sacred bonds of love, trust, and compassion between us. Big. And He was suddenly out. "Go up to a land flowing with milk and honey; for I will not go up in your midst, because you are an obstinate people, and I might destroy you on the way" (Ex. 33:3).

Read the full story at www.VirtueOnline.org

No comments: