Monday, January 13, 2014

Malcolm Gladwell sees God's power
Share on Google PlusTwitterFacebookLinkedInBufferFacebookCustom Sharing Tool
Evernote
+TAG


In Malcolm Gladwell's new book, David and Goliath, Gladwell's research on what he calls "weapons of the spirit" helped him see beyond objective data points and, for him, into the way God's power works in the world.
Gladwell's testimony appears in the January/February edition of Relevant Magazine:
I attended Washington Community Fellowship when I lived in Washington D.C. But once I moved to New York, I stopped attending any kind of religious fellowship. I have often wondered why it happened that way: Why had I wandered off the path taken by the rest of my family?What I understand now is that I was one of those people who did not appreciate the weapons of the spirit. I have always been someone attracted to the quantifiable and the physical. I hate to admit it. But I don’t think I would have been able to do what the Huguenots did in Le Chambon. I would have counted up the number of soldiers and guns on each side and concluded it was too dangerous. I have always believed in God. I have grasped the logic of Christian faith. What I have had a hard time seeing is God’s power...
Maybe we have difficulty seeing the weapons of the spirit because we don’t know where to look, or because we are distracted by the louder claims of material advantage. But I’ve seen them now, and I will never be the same.

No comments: