Wednesday, February 26, 2014



Thank You, Article XXXVII: Renouncing my orders...NOT

By Henry Jansma
http://henryjansma.org/2014/02/24/thank-you-article-xxxvii/
February 24, 2014

One of the realities when you switch churches and denominations is how one network of communication is unplugged and another network is connected. It takes a bit of time to find out where you are in all of this. But after having done moves to England and back again I have found that it is best to just listen to the conversations taking place in your new network for a time before you speak. But when you do be prepared for energizing dialogue and new information.

My new network of reformed, confessing Anglicans is international in its reach. I have made new friends and reestablished friendships with others with whom I have been out of touch. One new friendship and I had a fascinating dialogue over a small niggle of mine: Did the Bishop of New Jersey have the jurisdiction to depose me of my Holy Orders when my Orders were conferred by the Church of England and not by the Episcopal Church? When I raised it with the then Bishop in our last, tense, interview he dismissed it out of hand. His view was simple. If I was canonically resident in the Diocese, I fell under the deposition canon in its entirety as he interpreted it and how he would present it to the Standing Committee, and that was that. And that's where we left it.

Read the full story at www.VirtueOnline.org

No comments: