Thursday, March 20, 2014



Choose to Love Your Spouse - Don't Let Divorce Be An Option

By The Rt. Rev. William Love
Special to Virtueonline
www.virtueonline.org
March 20, 2104

"We are stuck together. We can choose to be miserably stuck or lovingly stuck, but we are stuck together for life - divorce is not an option." I remember saying this to Karen early in our marriage during the heat of an argument. While rather crude in its interpretation, it captures the essence of the permanence intended in the marriage vows that Karen and I made 30 years ago when we stood before God and His Church and solemnly promised to one another: "In the Name of God, I, (William/Karen), take you to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death. This is my solemn vow." (BCP)

As I look back on our 30 years of marriage, as wonderful as it has been and continues to be, there have been times where I was so angry, hurt, confused, overwhelmed, exhausted, impatient, selfish and frustrated that I just wanted to say, "I quit. I'm out of here." - thinking at the time how much easier it would be if the"until we are parted by death" clause wasn't there.

Read the full story at www.VirtueOnline.org

No comments: