Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Following a Lenten disciple has always been difficult for me.  Sometimes I even make it the full 40 days.  Sometimes I don’t.  This year I hope to not only complete the process but truly enjoy the journey.  I began my Lenten Discipline today and found these three verses inspirational.  I hope you will also.

[R]eturn to me, says the Lord of hosts, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts.  Zechariah 1:3
Remember the old joke with the wife complaining about how things have changed in their marriage and recalls how he use to like her sitting close to him in the car.  The husband reminded her that he wasn’t the one who moved as he was still sitting in the same place.  It is the same with the Lord.  We are the ones who leave Him.
[I]f my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land 2 Chronicles 7:14
Many use spring as a time to clean house.  Lent is a time to clean our hearts.  This verse brings me a lot of comfort.  It reminds me that He does not call me first to “clean up my sinful ways.”  He calls me first to prayer and to earnestly desire Him.  It is then from the shelter of His loving arms I can begin the hard work of repentance.
Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud; be gracious to me and answer me!  You have said, “Seek[d] my face.”  My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.” Psalm 27:7-8
David, a sinful man, knew the cleansing power of seeking God. What a powerful witness of what God can do with a penitent and faithful heart.

No comments: