Friday, April 25, 2014



On Good Friday, the Labour MP David Lammy told Radio 4's Any Questions?: "I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, actually, and assume he did it for noble reasons. I am a Christian. I read his article in the Church Times, and have to say I agreed with every single word of it. . . My faith has always meant a lot to me, and I think we should be able to talk about it in our public life."

He cautioned, however, that Mr Cameron's comments would lead to renewed scrutiny of his actions: "Some of what I see: asking landlords to check on immigrants, describing those who are most impoverished as scroungers, some of the changes in the way that we deal with benefits, bedroom tax, the list goes on, doesn't feel to me to be particularly Christian, and that is why the leaders of our Christian community have been so categorically condemning much that we have seen."

Read it all.

No comments: