Wednesday, July 02, 2014

pecusa liberal opines....

I’m not sure of the long-term impact of this ruling. When I first heard it, I thought it was a disaster that would cause an avalanche of consequences. Actually reading the opinion, I think the attempt to direct a narrow interpretation on simply extending the accommodation previously arranged for nonprofits to ‘closely-held’ companies is more of a comment on the ‘least restrictive’ clause than an endorsement of corporate religious views.

Had there not been an existing structure in place to extend to these companies, I believe the Supreme Court would have ruled differently. Time will tell if future Court decisions expand this understanding or follow a more narrow interpretation of this verdict. For the moment, I’m hopeful this isn’t the disaster I thought it was at first.

Let's be clear: the rights of actual, living individuals lost to the rights of companies this week.

Read it all and make sure to read yesterday's comments also.

No comments: