Sunday, October 23, 2011


CLARIFICATION

Mark?  Stacy Sauls.  What have you been doing with yourself these days, Bishop?  Working hard or hardly working?
That’s good, really good to hear.
I’m doing great.  Couldn’t be better.  And how is…er…uh…Mrs. Lawrence?
Yes, I know that your wife knows her own name, I just momentarily forgot it, that’s all.  No need to be a smartass.
Why did I call?  Well, Mark, the Presiding Bishop wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about the…uh…current situation.
Uh huh.
Uh huh.
Why did we wait so long to let you know you were being investigated?  Well, I can see where you might be upset about that.
Mark, Mark, Mark!  Calm down and let me explain what happened.  A lot of people around the office were using up vacation time right about then, we had to hire temps out the wazoo, stuff that should have got sent here got sent there.  You know how it is.  The Presiding Bishop couldn’t be more embarrassed.
That is so what happened!  There’s no reason to get snippy!
What?
Now there’s where you’re wrong.  We haven’t prejudged the outcome of this investigation and quite frankly, Mark, I resent your implication that we have.
No, that’s not what we’re doing.
Uh huh.
Uh huh.
That’s not it at all.  All we’re trying to do here is to determine whether your abandonment of communion constitutes…
Mark?
Mark?
Mark, if I can just get a word in…
Mark?
Calm down, Mark.
Mark, there’s no point in talking to you if you’re just going to…
Mark?
Mark?
Mark!  Of course we haven’t already decided that you’ve abandoned the communion of the church.  That’s the farthest thing from our minds.  We’re just trying to determine whether your abandonment of communion constitutes a…
What?
Well, there had to have been some kind of abandonment of communion or no one would have filed a complaint.
It does so make sense!
Well maybe you accidentally abandoned communion some time.  Ever thought of that?
You can so accidentally abandon communion!  It happens all the time.  When I was at Lexington, I had this priest who used to accidentally abandon communion three or four days a week.  Anyway, all we’re trying to determine is whether your abandonment of…
No I have not been drinking!
What was that, Mark?  I didn’t hear what you just said.  I should live into my own what?

No comments: