Monday, December 05, 2011


A Case for Evangelical Anglicanism - Justyn Terry

A Case for Evangelical Anglicanism

By Justyn Terry
http://www.tsm.edu/about_trinity/a_case_for_evangelical_anglicanism
December 4, 2011

I grew up in one of the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches in Southampton, UK. It was a great church and I loved it. We had 45 minute sermons every Sunday morning and evening and they were the highlights of the week. I remember being astonished to find out that so many of my friends did not go to church and I felt disappointed for them.

When I went to university I discovered evangelical Anglicanism and was fascinated by its biblical liturgy and the seriousness of thought that lay behind it. I also came to respect the Anglo-Catholicism of the college chapel.

Through those experiences, and through my reading and reflection since then, I have become increasingly attracted to evangelical Anglicanism, and want to say why I recommend training for Christian leadership in this tradition, whether we are Conservative or Charismatic Evangelicals, or Anglo-Catholics. Evangelical Anglicanism

The word "evangelical" is used in many different ways these days, and there is much debate about its meaning. My preference is for J.I. Packer's six distinctives of evangelicalism, which are endorsed by John Stott and Alister McGrath, all three of whom are prominent evangelical Anglicans.

Read the full story at www.VirtueOnline.org

No comments: