Friday, August 10, 2012


CATHOLICISM, CALVINISM AND THE THIRTY-NINE ARTICLES

CATHOLICISM, CALVINISM AND THE THIRTY-NINE ARTICLES

by Fr. Victor E. Novak
Special to virtueonline
www.virtueonline.org
August 10, 2012

There is a great deal of debate among self-professed orthodox Anglicans today regarding the Thirty-nine Articles of Religion, as to whether they are Catholic or Calvinist. This debate has been caused by a growing number of Anglicans who are self- described as Reformed or Calvinist in theology.

When Metropolitan Jonah spoke at the inaugural Assembly of the Anglican Church in North America in 2009, and said that the ACNA had to reject Calvinism, I was surprised. I left the Episcopal Church in the late 1970's, and have been in the ministry all of my adult life, but I had never even met an Anglican that called himself a Calvinist. Naive? Sheltered? I don't think so. In addition to serving in the parochial ministry, I served for years as the editor of a national Anglican publication and as a provincial Ecumenical Officer. I have known large numbers of Anglican clergy and laity, including many continuing Anglican bishops and primates in both North American and abroad, yet I had known no open Calvinists. None. Former Reformed clergy and laity who had come to the door of Anglicanism after studying John Calvin and then took the next step, yes. Five Point Calvinist "Anglicans," no.

Read the full story at www.VirtueOnline.org

No comments: