Tuesday, June 03, 2014



After We Die: Four Views

By The Venerable Dr. Christopher A. Brown
Special to virtueonline
www.virtueonline.org
June 3, 2014

It was close to Easter. I was attending a gathering of the local ministerial association. “I am curious,” I said to the representative of the local synagogue, “Do Jews believe in the resurrection of the dead?” I knew that the Pharisees in the time of Jesus taught the resurrection of the dead, but was uncertain about the status of resurrection belief in modern Judaism.

“Oh no,” she said, “Judaism is all about our relationship with God in this world.”

She was an intelligent and informed woman in her sixties, who was married to a college professor. I suspect that her perspective is representative of many contemporary Reformed and Conservative (but probably not Orthodox) Jews in the United States. She was not, however, a seminary-educated rabbi. So I did a little research. In a book entitled What Jews Believe, by David S. Ariel, I found the following statement:

Read the full story at www.VirtueOnline.org

No comments: